Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January Play!

This month is already getting away from me! Our goal was to settle down a bit and get back into a routine, but it's turned out that we're not finished having fun! Here are some of the things we've been doing to keep busy in this new year:

This was our second annual New Year's Day trip to the Florida Aquarium. It's pretty neat to see Rosemary get something new out of the aquarium each time we take her. This time one of the roseate spoonbills was on the loose- fishing in one of the exhibits! It was pretty amazing to watch! Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture of it because everyone there had cameras out and was posing next to it so I missed my opportunity, but Rosemary now knows a new word- spoonbill. Not sure too many 2 year-olds are that well versed in Florida birds!

Our next little excursion was to the Manatee Viewing Center in Apollo Beach. On a tip from a friend who said to make sure to go when it's cold, we went out there all bundled up and it was AMAZING! There were probably over a hundred manatees out there. If you look closely you can see all the little manatees in the water in the picture. The other picture I just thought looked neat of our shadows!


As a finale to the fun and excitement of January so far, the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus came to town!!!!! I'm not sure I would recommend going with a 2-year-old, and I'm pretty sure I had more fun than she did, but overall it was great. We got there early enough to enjoy the floor show, meet some of the performers and even try on some of the clothing! At one point after the show actually started, we got a little tired of trying to finagle Rosemary to stay seated, so Joe took her out into the lobby to let her run around a bit. When they came back, Rosemary was covered in face paint and had a big red nose! Joe had taken her and got her face painted and picture taken as a clown! It might be the cutest thing I've ever seen. She may not look so happy in the picture, but believe me, she was actually loving it! In fact, now when Joe gives her a bath, he takes a paintbrush and uses water to put "clown makeup" on her because she loved it so much!


Not quite as exciting as the circus, but I've been doing some fun things with Rosemary while Joe works. One day I took her to Gator Freds, a local indoor play area with bounce houses and a pretend village made for toddlers and preschoolers. She had so much fun! I took a million pictures, but here's one of her when we first got there. In a boat.


Since Rosemary gave up naps when she was 18 months old, I've been looking for a way of getting a little break into our day, so I'm trying to have a daily "quiet time". I put a movie on, cuddle her on the couch with a blanket, and lay down next to her. What's happening right now is that I'm falling asleep while she pokes me for a good 30 minutes and then she gets up and is off running around, but hopefully eventually she'll get the idea and we'll both get a nice rest during the day! Doesn't she look all cozy cuddled up?! She likes to say "Hi mommy. I love you, mommy. Are we cuddling, mommy? Is that your nose, mommy? Hi, mommy..." and on and on and on. She really doesn't get the whole "quiet" thing!

Another thing we like to do while daddy works is play "under the sea." This blanket makes the coolest fort. It really does feel like we're under the sea! I wish my flash didn't brighten it so much because it's really cool!

And to leave you a little two-year-old behavior that Joe and I knew was coming eventually, Rosemary got into my purse tonight and found my lipstick. Here's the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment