Saturday, December 11, 2010

She is Three...

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

Today, my first born is a gorgeous, intelligent, funny, dramatic little princess who gives me my happiest moments, my moments of most frustration, and the biggest belly laughs I have ever experienced. There are a million things about her that I love, but here are just a few that I know I will never want to forget about my three-year-old little girl:

  • I love that every time she hears music, she drops whatever she is doing and runs to her bedroom to put on one of her princess dresses so she can dance around the living room like Tina the Ballerina.
  • I love that she has to have matching clothes every day and she will not leave the house without something glittery or shiny on.
  • I love that she loves her brother and always wants to hold him. And that as soon as he starts to fuss she puts her hands up and says "I'm done!" She always says "I like having a little brother."
  • I love that she always notices when I have a new shirt or dress or something for the house. She says "Ooh, that's pretty. I like your new princess dress."
  • I love that everything pretty to her is "princess."
  • She is the messiest eater in the world. I don't so much love this after 3 years, but I don't ever want to forget it. I still have to strip her down to her undies to eat dinner because she is such a mess!
  • I love how she gets scared at silly little cartoons, like Toy Story, but loves scary Halloween decorations and zombie movies (no, we did not let her watch a zombie movie. It was the Halloween episode of Community and she would not go to sleep so we let her stay up. The entire campus became zombies and she LOVED it. For about a week she would walk around like a zombie and cracking up at herself.) But cute things like little yellow ducky puppets scare her.
  • I love that she thanks me for the simplest things, like doing her laundry.
  • I love that she is mine. She makes me want to be a better person. She repeats everything she sees and she is very sensitive. She has made me throw out everything I ever thought I knew about children and learn a whole new way of being. The Rosemary way. She doesn't follow a book. The "correct" way of parenting doesn't apply to her. She definitely has her own agenda and keeps me on my toes. She is at the same time the sweetest, most gentle spirit I have ever met, and the most determined, head strong little girl I have ever known.
I remember bringing this tiny little thing home from the hospital and opening up all my parenting books trying to solve this mystery that is baby. I wondered how they could just send me home with this fragile, tiny little thing and expect us all to survive! And now I look at her, grown into this perfect little girl, and realize how wonderful my life is, now that she is in my world.

3 comments:

  1. So sweet, Wendy! You made me teary. Happy birthday, Romy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Wendy! It sounds like Madison and Romy have a lot in common. I wish we lived closer to eachother =( Happy Birthday Rosemary! You make this world just a little brighter of a place =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday a day late :) I hope you had a wonderful day with your little girl :)

    ReplyDelete